Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Fur is murder, but leather is...better?!?

I unexpectedly found myself at the wrong end of an animal-rights heckling incident today. Getting off a crowded subway train, I heard a distinct mooing sound coming from someone in the crowd. I would later realize that this guy was apparently mooing at every person he saw with a leather jacket. As I walked through the gates, I found myself in between him and his female counterpart. He kept mumbling something about cows (I assumed he was talking to her), and then made an obscure reference to wishing they'd make a stake out of...well, I think he meant me, because as I turned back to see who he was talking to now, he was looking back my way. His counterpart chuckled in agreement. He looked satisfied that I had heard his comments, rather than pretending to ignore him like the others did. Only then did I realize I was one of his intended audiance, and that I was wearing my leather jacket today. Oops.

Although I try to be an environmentalist and am very sympathetic to animal rights and human destruction of their habitats and freedoms...cows are different altogether. Have you ever seen a cow up close? They just look like they don't care. They would never make it in nature alone, so they might as well serve some purpose...food and clothing for us. I also object to low-brow bums who claim to be true activists. They do a dis-service to otherwise valid causes. No one will listen to unappealing people like that and change their ways. Still, the heckler's little rant this morning did bring awareness to the cause. I was gonna have chicken for lunch today, but instead I think I'll have...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this story but I have a little tid bit to add here.

The cows that you know today are not the cows of yester-year. We bred them to be dumb and so they look that way.

Imagine where cows would be if humans didn't set their sights on domestication. They couldn't been "a contender".

11:48 AM  
Blogger Desiderius1979 said...

Well humans picked cows for domestication because they were so easily defeated and domesticated. There were many other species that refused to succumb to early human domestigation attempts. So you see, even cows of yesteryear were not contenders. Humans were their salvation (such as it is).

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home