Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Our home and toxic land

There’s been a lot of talk lately about high levels of toxic material found in the bodies of Canadians. It seems pollutants from industry, food, and life in general find their way into our bodies more readily then previously thought, making us more toxic and thus susceptible to illness and decreasing our quality of life. The federal government is very concerned and is initiating body-toxin testing programs, as well as putting pressure on neighbouring American states from polluting so much.
Pftt, and we thought we were the top of the food chain because of our dominance over the planet, but the truth is we're just too gross for even the hungriest beasts to consider sampling us for dinner.

While we can’t avoid being exposed to pollution and we can prevent further toxification, we can limit the amounts coming in, and we can remove toxins that have accumulated in our bodies from years past. I'm reminded of a semi-biographical novel I read years ago. It was about an eccentric old gas station attendant, who despite his age and seemingly dull occupation, had a great outlook on life and was in great physical and mental shape. Yet, he achieved this peace and health not by denying his urges, dieting, etc. but by simply offsetting the bad with the good. When he felt like a smoke, he had a cigarette without feeling guilty about it, but later on he'd eat a bowl of healthy fresh vegetables, reversing any ill effects the cigarette may have caused. So, although they say you shorten your life by 8 minutes with each cigarette you take, those 8 minutes are not necessarily lost forever. I share this example because it stuck with me, and not because I advocate guilt-free smoking. Smoking is disgusting, but so are many of our habits.

Here are some quick tips on how to remove toxins from your body:

1. Semi-annual detox program: Fast for 2 days eating nothing solid. Drink plenty of filtered water and detox formula. Drink a glass of detox formula (consisting of filtered water, organic lemon juice, pure maple syrup, and cayenne pepper for taste)every few hours or when hungry. Day 3-7 or beyond if you wish, eat light meals consisting of brown/basmati rice, and steamed vegetables, fruits. Eventually integrate fish and poultry. Then, when it's all done, go back to your old filthy eating habits, and repeat the clense every so often. You're body will thank you. You will drop weight though, a desirable or not, depending on the person.

2. Sweat. I don't need to tell you how to sweat...do whatever.

3. Meditate or relax as you prefer...you need to cleanse body and mind.

4. If and when you do indulge in unhealthy desires, don't feel guilty about it. The feelings of guilt will intensify negative effects on your body, while savouring and enjoying your guilty pleasures can actually minimize ill effects.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh Socrates, one of my favourite people ... it's been awhile since I've visited him; your post has made me rekindle an old friendship.

Regarding the detox program, I was introduced to a very similar one years ago but can't say it's something I particularly go for, although what I do after a night of thrashing my body could be considered a very accelerated detox program so I shall not condemn it.

Guilt? What's that? :P

As for the toxic levels in our bodies, did we really need the government to step in to say they're being readily absorbed into our bodies? Seriously, I believe you bodies talk to us everyday, we just gotta take a second to listen to them.

7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant topic!

I think I will try this detox program you mention. Besides hunger pangs and lethargy (I imagine), are there any other uncomfortable side effects one can expect to experience whilst on the program? Or is it mostly a light, clean feeling right off the bat?

11:10 AM  
Blogger Desiderius1979 said...

I experienced few negative effects of any kind during the fast itself, except for craving tasty food after a week of tasteless rice and steamed vegetabes...finding creative ways to make food interesting was the biggest challenge...boredom basically. I also did not care for the weight loss (10lbs +), but I've put it back on, and I'm fine now.

Women thought tend to have a harder time doing the fast itself. It seems cramping, headaches, nausea, are very common. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe women are more toxic...hehe. Anyway, the bad side effects are a sign of toxins leaving your body, and they will soon pass and you'll feel better.

Anonymous, what is this accelerated detox program you do? I am not a fan of the prolonged version myself, so anything short and sweet sounds appealing.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I was referring to how I get alcohol out my system quickly. I'm not a big fan of drinking but I do sometimes and afterwards I like to get it out of me asap. So I usually wake up early (this is important), drink a lot of clear fluids but not really water (like fennel tea and light broths made from fresh ingredients), eat light frequent meals staying away from meat but including things like carrots and celery. I find sour things or things with lemon juice make me feel good and at the end of the day I make fresh fruit fruit + veg juice including a beet when I'm in the mood. A big part of it, though, is that throughout the day I imagine my body being clensed of all the bad stuff.
So as you can see it's not really a "detox" program but considering everything, I have a pretty healthy body and I'd don't deny myself of anything I like.
On other note, there are many many ways to make food interesting and tasty without disrupting your digestive system - I have a lot of good recipes if you're interested.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Desiderius1979 said...

Spread the word...

3:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

About detoxing or would you like recipes? If the latter, name an ingredient and I'll see if I know anything good. I assume you're a good cook since you wrote that you try to be creative with your recipes.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red/yellow/green/orange peppers?

12:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey second annonymous, i'm the first one :)
sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but been busy.
anyway, the only sweet pepper recipes I know are stuffed peppers and a great greek salad my mom makes
but here are two sites that might give you some other healthy ideas:
Sweet Pepper Recipes
and
Recipes with Sweet Pepper Index
hope that's what you were looking for!

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great, thanks Anon #1!

7:52 PM  
Blogger Desiderius1979 said...

Pretty good recepies, but in terms of the detox diet and the bland food remark that got this conversation started, most of these recipes would be considered cheating. I notice milk and dairy ingredients which are a no-no...and dressings are generaly not allowed (except for very little virgin olive oil, flax seed oil, and/or lemon juice). That being said, they are great for everyday meals when you just want to take a short break from heavy meats. Thanks anonymous.

3:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I wasn't really providing detox recipes, just everyday ones that are light and tasty ... I think (confession: I didn't read too many of the recipes on the links I provided, but the titles of the websites seemed fitting). And sweet peppers is difficult as a main ingredient, let me tell ya! Anyway, I'm still not too comfortable with the whole detox idea, it's a little unnatural (but I guess what isn't nowadays). I think healthy eating should be comfortable and enjoyable and not such a sacrifice, where we go from one extreme to the next. BUT everyone is different and we should all definitely do what we feel works for us. Be`careful with those oils, though, they're not good for everyone and they're not good prepared every which way (I know you'll say you know that Desiderius but for those who don't, make sure it works for your body). Oh yeah, you're welcome! :P

5:41 PM  
Blogger Desiderius1979 said...

Re: "detox...a little unnatural". Well, not entirely. The fasting aspect, which is the main part of a detox program is a very natural thing. Humans have always practiced regular fasting as a way to cleanse. In fact, the practice was so popular that it made its way into religious doctrine. (Name one major religion that does not have a fasting element?) Let's not kid ourselves, yes it's a sacrifice to God or whomever, but really it's done to help the body. And even before civilized societies and farming, fasting was a way of life. Hunter gatherers could not count on regular meals like we do. People went hungry a good part of the time, allowing the system to clean itself.

I do very much agree with the "healthy eating should be comfortable and enjoyable and not such a sacrifice, where we go from one extreme to the next" part though. The detox program simply forces this lesson upon you since few are willing to try it without a push. Once you do the program, you'll be amazed at how many previously distasteful (healthy)foods you start seeing in a whole new way...as tasty as ever.

In that sense, the detox program is more than cleaning up the digestive system, but also training the will and mind to crave/enjoy healthier foods.

RE: "Be`careful with those oils". Yes, I do know that :). In the context of a detox, you should only use them raw and not fry things in them. Frying does lead to undesired effects.

3:13 PM  
Blogger ds said...

You had me at "pure maple syrup" then I began to laugh without control. Bahahaha!

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home